JOB DESCRIPTION: Transportation Dept.
School Bus Driver
$17.50 to $19.49 DOE, benefits included
$1500 incentive available. Incentive will be paid after 6 months, 12 months,
and 18 months of continuous service in $500 increments*
*External Applicants only, who have never worked for the District
The job of a 'District School Bus Driver', is to safely operate a passenger bus, for the purpose of safely transporting students over scheduled routes and/or to/from school and district sponsored events. Driver's enforce rules, regulations, and laws to ensure the school bus is operating safely; and ensure the safety of students during transport and while loading and unloading from the school bus.
Essential Job Functions
• Operates District school buses for the purpose of safely transporting students over scheduled routes, to/from school or other approved designated school activities.
• Operates District school buses in accordance with District policies and procedures, and in compliance with all State of Oregon traffic laws and regulations (OAR's and ORS's).
• Supervises, assists and instructs students and other passengers in safe bus riding practice, entry and exiting of the bus during regular and emergency situations.
• Performs designated pre-trip and post-trip inspections of the assigned school bus in accordance with District policies and procedures and laws of the State of Oregon. Inspects assigned vehicles (i.e. brake system, oil levels, coolant, tire pressure, exterior condition, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring that the vehicle is in a safe operating condition.
• Assesses potential emergency situations for the purpose of taking appropriate action to protect the well-being of passengers.
• Immediately reports and identified mechanical or operational defects in the assigned school bus in compliance with District policies and procedures.
• Reports all incidents, complaints, accidents and/or potential emergency situations in compliance with District policies and procedures.
• Cleans assigned vehicles, both interior/exterior, for the purpose of maintaining appearance, sanitation and safety of vehicle.
• Instructs students and/or passengers twice yearly on safe bus riding and evacuations as required by 'Physical Examinations OAR.
• Prepares all required reports, forms or other documents as required by the District.
• Is knowledgeable and complies with District policies and procedures and State of Oregon regulations regarding the operation of a school bus.
Other Job Functions:
• Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
• Fuels assigned vehicle for the purpose of maintaining vehicle in a safe operating condition.
• Provides courier services for the purpose of transportation.
Job Requirements - Qualifications:
Prior job related experience is necessary and you must be 21 years of age or older.
Skills, Knowledge and/or Abilities Required
• Skills: are required to perform single, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: completing thorough pre- trip inspections, operating school buses, administering first aid and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
• Knowledge: is required to perform and understand written procedures, write routine documents, and read, speak and write the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, understands highway signs and signals in the English language, respond to official inquiries and make entries on reports and records. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job including safe driving practices.
• Ability: is required to work with others in a variety of circumstances and operate all student transporting equipment. Is also required to work with diverse groups/individuals. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: maintaining confidentiality, meeting schedules and working as part of a team.
• Responsibilities: include maintaining current Commercial Driver’s License, First Aid card and Oregon Department of Education School Bus Drivers Certificate and having the aforementioned with you at all times. Attend all required department meetings and trainings. Maintain knowledge of and comply with District and State regulations as they relate to school bus drivers.
• Regular Attendance must be maintained Physical Requirements
• The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: occasional
lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling; intermittent stooping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; and continual manual hand and finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 70% sitting, 15% walking and 15% standing.
• Required to demonstrate as stated in 'Physical Examinations OAR' including, but not limited to: physical capacities required to operate a bus: continual sitting, leg/foot use required to depress brake pedal to a pressure of at least 90 pounds and depress clutch pedal to a pressure of at least 40 pounds unless operating an automatic transmission, reaching, handling, grasping, fingering. Frequent twisting, pushing and pulling, e.g., up to 30 pounds of force to manually operate bus entrance door and during an emergency situation, a student(s) might have to be assisted requiring carrying or dragging a 125 pound person 30 feet in 30 seconds or less. Occasional standing, walking, crouching, stooping. Intermittent climbing, e.g., a maximum step height of 17.5 inches to enter bus and in an emergency situation, exits from an emergency door opening of 24 x 48 inches and at least 42 inches from the ground in ten seconds or less, balancing, lifting and carrying.
• Possess a reaction time of ¾ of a second or less from the throttle to the brake control. Continual hearing and not less than
7/15 in at least one (1) ear. Drivers requiring a hearing aid must wear a properly operating aid at all times while operating a bus. Continual vision requiring near acuity and far acuity of no less than 20/40 in each eye either with or without corrective lenses and binocular acuity of at least 20/40 in both eyes with or without corrective lenses. A field of vision of not less than a total of 140 degrees, depth perception and color vision to distinguish red, green and yellow colors. Drivers requiring corrective lenses shall wear properly prescribed lenses at all time while operating a bus.
• Ability to interact and communicate with diverse groups, maintain confidentiality, work as part of a team, comply with schedule time and deadline constraints and work overtime, work independently, supervise others using sound judgment, flexibility and mental alertness to observe weather and road conditions, traffic patterns and student behavior simultaneously. To interpret and/or assist those who are unable to communicate as a result of a visual, speech, hearing and/or physical disability.
License, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required
• Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance
• Evidence of Insurability
• Valid Driver's License
• Valid Commercial Driver's License
• School Bus Driver's Certificate
• Current First Aid/CPR Card
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Transportation
SALARY: Driver - Level H1 = Wages range from $17.50 to $19.49 an hour depending on experience. Salary and fringe benefits included (per Agreement between Board of Education and Oregon School Employees Association Union).
$1500 incentive available. Incentive will be paid after 6 months, 12 months, 18 months of continuous service in $500 increments*
*External Applicants only, who have never worked for the District
Trainer – Receives $1.00 an hour extra when training
This position is subject to random drug testing under Department of Transportation guidelines.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
Launch your career - Create your profile now!Create your Profile
Loading some great jobs for you...