GRCC GEAR UP Wyoming Navigator-External
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
LocationGRCC Main Campus
Org Marketing Statement
External posting, open to any qualified candidate
Date: February 11, 2019
Title: GEAR UP Wyoming Navigator
Position Number: 946
Hours: 40 hours per week/ 52 weeks per year (Grant funded position through 9/30/24)
Salary: Meet and Confer, Grade 11, $18.11 per hour
Reports to: Director of GEAR UP Wyoming
Posting Close Date: Posted until filled. First review on February 26, 2019.SUMMARY
The GEAR UP Wyoming Navigator will provide direct services and support to students in the Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) Wyoming program. This position works initially with a cohort of 7 th grade students from four City of Wyoming school districts (Godfrey Lee, Godwin Heights, Kelloggsville, and Wyoming) and follows them through their middle school and high school years into post-secondary training/education. This position will work closely with staff at the four school district middle schools and high schools and internally with GEAR UP staff and related departments.
The GEAR UP Wyoming Navigator is expected to be knowledgeable about interventions and success strategies for middle school and high school students and the college-going process, in particular GRCC processes. This position requires high-touch case management and regular communication with students, parents, faculty, and both K-12 and GRCC staff through email, phone, and face-to-face is expected.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provide case-management services to 7 th grade GEAR UP Wyoming cohort to support academic successes from middle school to high school and high school to college and/or career training:
- Provide individualized support based on assessed needs and barriers to ensure students gain self-confidence in their academic abilities
- Work with students and families to develop a college-going, future-focused mindset.
- Monitor and track student progress to ensure compliance with grant objectives
- Proactively intervene when students show early signs of attendance, behavior, or academic concerns
- Actively refer student concerns to appropriate middle school and/or high school personnel and services, GRCC staff or faculty, and community resources and services, as needed.
- Schedule appointments for students with school and community service providers, as needed.
- Maintain appropriate documentation and notes of student interactions, referrals, resources, and interventions.
- Support the development of non-cognitive skills that are essential for academic success and college persistence (e.g. resilience, self-regulation, and social comfort) among program participants.
- Implement and enforce academic goals and disciplinary procedures related to the policies of the City of Wyoming schools and Grand Rapids Community College.
- Assist the Director of GEAR UP Wyoming in implementing pre-college experiences and engagement activities for participants and parents aimed at retaining students through high school graduation and increasing students' chances of post- secondary success. Activities may include but are not limited to summer learning academies, career nights, and presentations on the college-going processes.
- Develop and facilitate workshops to student participants and parents
- Facilitate small group interventions to promote students' leadership skills among students
- Actively encourage participation in after-school programming, including academic tutoring services
- Maintain current knowledge of Academic Pathways, academic and occupational degree requirements, high school and college graduation requirements, transfer requirements and pre-requisite requirements to move students toward completion.
- Persons in this role are identified as a Campus Security Authority (CSA). CSA's will be trained and responsible for reporting Clery Reportable Crimes to Campus Police as required by the Clery Act.
- Input and report student data.
- Support program assessment and evaluation as necessary.
- Participate in meetings with middle school and high school staff as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of GEAR UP Wyoming.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Bachelor's degree in education, school counseling, social work or related area required.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Current licensure/certification in core educational area (Math, Science, or English Language Arts).
- National Career Readiness Certificate preferred, but not required.
- Bilingual Spanish-English required.
- Prior experience in working with diverse low-income and/or first-generation students required.
- Prior experience with middle school and high school students required.
- Prior experience teaching K-12, counseling, or tutoring preferred.
- An individual who has succeeded in overcoming the disadvantage circumstances of the target area population preferred.
- Knowledge of data reporting systems; experience with data tracking and preparing reports preferred.
- Knowledge of computer applications including spreadsheets, database programs, Web applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Must be comfortable with public speaking.
- Commitment to serving a diverse student population with respect and equality.
- Dedicated to student success and GRCC's mission, vision, and values.
- High level of energy, enthusiasm, motivation, and the ability to be innovative and creative.
- Ability to influence and build rapport with students, school district staff, administration, and community.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines with attention to detail, and perform work responsibilities in a professional manner.
- Must be able to effectively manage high stress student issues and concerns.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain a positive customer and student oriented approach in a demanding work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work collaboratively.
- Adaptable to changing technology.
- The position requires long periods of sitting, standing, reading and writing, listening and speaking.
- This position requires travel in the West Michigan region.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings and occasional weekends.
- Must be able to commute between campus locations and travel locally.
- Must have reliable transportation.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position athttps://www.grcc.edu/jobs submit a cover letter and resume in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.
Loading some great jobs for you...