Senior Director, Environment and Climate
Employment Type: Full-Time
Loading some great jobs for you...
About Global Citizen
Our vision is a world without extreme poverty by 2030. Our mission is to grow the number and effectiveness of Global Citizens to achieve the public, business and political commitment and action to end extreme poverty by 2030.
We are inspired by the incredible progress achieved by the global community in halving the percentage of people living in extreme poverty in the last 30 years. We know that the injustice of living on less than US$1.25 a day can be ended by 2030.
We believe that when an organized, critical mass of individuals in society aspire to the values of Global Citizen (GC), and when they are organized and equipped to take meaningful action, we can change the policies and practices that contribute to keeping people in extreme poverty.
As a part of the senior leadership of our team, the Environment and Climate lead would support the Vice President, Global Policy and Government Affairs in furthering Global Citizen’s environment campaigns and priorities ahead of Global Citizen’s 2020 Global Goal Live: The Possible Dream campaign and beyond. This role will require high level advocacy work and a fundamental understanding of the policy landscape and strategic efforts related to:
- reducing and combating global carbon emissions,
- addressing the use and re-use of single use plastics and poor waste management,
- promoting sustainable agriculture initiatives and infrastructure and
- encouraging national and sub-national government leadership as well as corporate and individual leadership on all of the above.
The environment and climate lead would also be expected to form new partnerships, cultivate and expand on existing partnerships and secure commitments from governments and businesses to address Sustainable Development Goals 13, 14 and 15.
Required Skills & Experience
- At least 6 years of experience as an advocate or campaigner with a focus on environment, climate and/or oceans policy.
- Bachelors level degree in International Policy, Development, Environment, government relations, Climate or a related field. Masters Degree preferable.
- Familiarity with digital campaigning and social advocacy, preferably with knowledge of Global Citizen and its modus operandi.
- Strong and in-depth understanding of environment, climate and oceans challenges and policy as it affects human development, with preference to those who have worked at a donor-engagement or grassroots level or within global environment and oceans initiatives or national ministries to advance environment and oceans outcomes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong team or people management experience
- Experience in liaising with high level personalities, including celebrity influencers, government leaders and bureaucrats and policy experts.
- Drafting of campaign actions and activations.
Partnership and relationship building
- Form partnerships and relationships with senior representatives of governments, NGOs, corporations and local influencer and stakeholder groups regarding Global Citizen’s environment and climate policy priorities and commitments including:
- The Office of the President of the General Assembly
- The UN Special Envoy for Oceans
- The UN Global Compact
- The Green Climate Fund
- CGIAR (formerly the Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research)
- The Global Adaptation Commission
- The House International Conservation Caucus and American Conservation Coalition
- Global Covenant of Mayors
- The World Bank and its PROBLUE initiative
- Governments who have previously made oceans and environment related commitments through the Global Citizen platform.
- Local and grassroots groups in affected countries in the poorest income per capita range
- Engage 2+ global south grassroots advocates and activists in Global Citizen’s campaigns and issues.
- Celebrity and influencer activists passionate about the environmental agenda.
Written and peer-to-peer advocacy on environment, climate, oceans and sustainability
- Prepare relevant written content and material on environment and oceans and the barriers for distribution through the Global Citizen platform and internally.
- Represent Global Citizen at events, meetings and stakeholder gatherings relevant to GC environment and oceans policy priorities.
- Attend and secure meetings with relevant UN Missions, national government ministries, local governments and relevant bureaus of environment and oceans, to advance Global Citizen’s environment and oceans asks and secure commitments ahead of the Global Citizen: Global Goal Live Festivals globally;
- Prepare correspondence, follow up and reporting both internally and externally regarding outreach an the progress of environment and oceans outcomes.
- Participate in and support on content, including interviews, real-time campaigning coverage and media to support Global Citizen’s campaigning on environmental and climate issues, ie. Global Citizen and National Geographic’s 2019 Activate documentary series.
- Assist with the organisation, partner liaison, briefings, and execution of public events related to environment, oceans and sustainability.
- Take part in and represent Global Citizen in sector and corporate dialogue on environment, climate, oceans and sustainability. For instance, represent Global Citizen on the UN Global Compact’s Sustainable Ocean Platform for Business including reporting back on high level meeting outcomes.
- Working with Global Citizen’s digital campaigns and marketing teams, create meaningful campaigns, and employ these campaigns to secure financial and policy related commitments on global environmental and sustainability challenges in line with the priority areas listed above.
- Support and input into the preparation of materials for grant applications relating to Global Citizen’s environment and sustainability campaign.
Team leadership, engagement and management
- Support Vice President of Global Policy and Government Affairs and Chief Policy Officer with senior leadership across the Global Citizen policy team, including people management and internal leadership and reporting.
- Provide mentorship, guidance and strategic support to more junior members of the Global Policy and Government Affairs team.
- Interest in international development and economic empowerment, particularly in the field of environment and oceans.
- Academic background and credibility in environment, climate or sustainability related fields.
- Professional demeanor and ability to interact with a variety of individuals and organizations and collaborate seamlessly across the organization
- Can-do attitude and willingness to roll up sleeves and work hard to tight and rapidly changing deadlines.
- Ability to show initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Creative flare and not afraid to pitch out-of-the-box ideas.
- Willing to travel for short periods of time and provide regular reports and updates.
- Reports to Vice President, Global Policy and Government Affairs.
- Must be authorized for employment in USA
Loading some great jobs for you...