Finsbury is seeking a senior-level professional to join our expanding and entrepreneurial Los Angeles office. The Managing Director will work closely with the head of our West Coast operations, who is based in Los Angeles, and serve an important leadership role driving client accounts and managing teams. The ideal candidate must be a strategic thinker with strong writing and analytical skills as well as a desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
Working across the entire firm, this individual will play a key role in pursuing and securing new business. While this professional may come from any number of backgrounds, experience in crisis and corporate communications, litigation support or financial communications is strongly preferred.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads, drives and executes crisis and litigation support communications engagements, sometimes on short notice.
- Plays a lead role assisting clients with corporate reputation and financial communications programs, including M&A.
- Reviews and edits key documents including press releases, scenario plans, Q&A s and other communications planning documents.
- Ensures client teams are proactive and highly responsive to client needs, anticipating upcoming deliverables and taking accountability for proper execution.
- Manages mid- and junior-level employees.
- Works closely with other Managing Directors and Partners on new business efforts and firmwide initiatives.
- Builds solid relationships with media contacts covering Finsbury clients and can act as a spokesperson, as appropriate.
- Manages client relationships on accounts of any size and can be the point person on crisis or deal situations.
- Is ready to take the lead in developing key documents, managing the team and working closely with the client, lawyers, bankers and other consultants.
- Writes effective, compelling materials that can go directly to the client.
- Develops relationships and works directly and effectively with client senior management and is available and responsive to client needs whenever necessary.
- Identifies new business opportunities on a regular basis.
- Develops strategies and leads the team in producing materials for new business proposals.
- Makes new business presentations.
Development of Finsbury Staff
- Delegates assignments to all levels of staff and provides constructive feedback on their performance.
- Evaluates staff performance, actively engages staff to work on achieving developmental goals and recommends and implements solutions where performance problems exist.
- Participates in the recruiting and hiring process by interviewing candidates, providing feedback, evaluating writing assignments and making recommendations to hire.
- Facilitates Finsbury Academy training courses.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor s degree and a minimum 12 years of relevant experience in communications (agency), legal, public affairs, journalism or related areas.
- Outstanding verbal, written and critical thinking skills, including a strong ability to think strategically.
- Experience providing counsel to C-suite executives.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and clients with changing priorities independently and meet deadlines in a dynamic, high-stakes environment.
- Familiarity with building and managing client budgets.
- Articulates thoughtful strategies for clients using input from Partners and other colleagues.
Associated topics: administrative coordinator, assistant, asso, chief operations officer, food, operation, operations director, records management, staff, support