AbbVie Analytical Research &Development (Analytical R&D) is a global analytical sciences organization responsible for all CMC analytical activities related to the development of AbbVie's pharmaceutical products. Our scope includes AbbVie's diverse pipeline of innovative small molecule and therapeutic biologic medicines and spans from the selection of Discovery candidate molecules through the transition of analytical methods and testing to commercial labs to support product launch. We are building a world-class team of scientists and leaders who will drive the advancement of industry-leading analytical capabilities and make meaningful contributions to advance AbbVie's pipeline of innovative medicines. Careers in AbbVie Analytical R&D provide unique opportunities to work with global and cross-functional teams to drive exceptional science and innovative product development strategies. We are looking for diverse candidates with strong scientific and leadership experience to join the AbbVie Analytical R&D team and can offer exciting and rewarding career opportunities for these candidates.
Within the Predictive Stability and Structural Elucidation group, part of the global Analytical R&D organization, conceive and implement novel experimental approaches to answer a broad spectrum of scientific questions as they relate to process and degradation chemistry for both drug substance and drug product development. These investigations include: elucidation of unknown chemical structures from complex mixtures using high resolution mass spectrometry and other related techniques, drug impurity/degradant profiling, isolation of unknown drug degradation products, probing studies to determine degradation reaction mechanisms, modeling of accelerated stability data to predict shelf-life. Contribute to project science within multidisciplinary teams, and develop productive collaborations, work processes and communications with other groups across drug product development disciplines.
- Routinely demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in research or development activities.
- Highly autonomous and productive in performing laboratory research or method development, requiring only minimal direction from or interaction with supervisor.
- Formulate conclusions and design follow-on experiments based on multidisciplinary data.
- Process, interpret, and visualize data to facilitate project team decisions .
- May initiate new areas of investigation that are scientifically meaningful, reliable, and can be incorporated directly into a research or development program.
- Demonstrates high proficiency across a wide range of relevant technologies.
- Maintain a high level of productivity in the lab.
- Present and publish work in high level journals and at conferences.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Direct mentorship of others.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education and typically 10- years of experience, Master's Degree or equivalent education and typically 8-10 years of experience, PhD and typically 0-4 years of experience.
- Hands on experience with HPLC analysis and method development.
- Additional experience with LCMS is preferred Possess thorough theoretical and practical understanding of own scientific discipline.
- Effective writer and communicator of research or other regulatory materials.
- Proven effective written and verbal communication skills and ability to interact effectively with interdisciplinary scientists and engineers.
- High attention to detail, creativity in problem solving, strong interpersonal skills and proven ability to successfully work independently and as part of teams.
- Excellent analytical problem-solving skills. Capable of independently developing and troublesh oot analytical methods.
- Demonstrated hands on experience with laboratory automation hardware and software.
- Thorough understanding of statistics with hands on experience with statistical software packages.
- Ability to work on multiple and simultaneous projects as part of a team in a global, fast-paced, setting where priorities may change quickly
Job level will be commensurate with experience
Associated topics: chemical, chemical engineering, coatings, nutrition, pha, phenolic, plastics, polymer, polymer synthesis, polypropylene