Solid State Chemists at AbbVie work in cross-functional teams to support projects through all phases of development (Lead Optimization to Process Validation). In early development, they work in cross functional teams to help pick the best molecule for development, identify solid form of the API and develop scalable API isolation processes for early clinical studies. During Phase II, they work with engineers and formulation scientists to establish structure-property-performance correlations and deliver commercial API isolation processes with optimized physical properties. In the final stages of development, Solid State Chemists at AbbVie help align control strategies across API and drug product and transition isolation processes and relevant physical characterization methods to commercial manufacturing sites.
Throughout development, they work with relevant teams to ensure successful regulatory submissions. In order to develop and implement robust solutions, Solid State Chemists at AbbVie use a very diverse set of experimental, analytical techniques, automation and modeling tools. Key responsibilities
- Independently generate precise, reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate experimental precision and strong data interpretation skills.
- Possess understanding of medicinal chemistry, physical chemistry, and/or chemical engineering principles.
- Perform routine tasks competently and with an eye for details, and independently scrutinize own and others data.
- Learn and understand several experimental techniques. Quickly adapt and employ new experimental approaches as needed based on the changing nature of R&D.
- Keep accurate and current experiments and/or records of research according to AbbVie policies.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials and GxP compliance.
- Work with direction from a more senior scientific le ader.
- BS or MS in chemistry or chemical engineering. Prior industrial experience is a plus but not required.
- Fluency in oral and written technical English required.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry, in particular as related to Research & Development.
- Experience in common analytical techniques including those used in solid state chemistry, such as thermal analysis (e.g. TGA, DSC), powder x-ray diffraction analysis, microscopy, HPLC, BET surface area, calorimetry and particle size determination.
- Knowledge/experience with polymorphism and crystallization
- Learns fast, adapts quickly and able to change course where indicated
- Capable of handling several activities at the same time and able to prioritize effectively
- Strong inter-personal skills and builds strong relationships with peers and across functions.
- Not afraid of bringing forward new ideas, embraces the ideas of others and manages innovation to reality.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills .
Job level will be commensurate with experience
Associated topics: chemical, chemical engineering, coatings, nutrition, pha, phenolic, plastics, polymer, polymer synthesis, polyurethane